Kitchen Extract Cleaning – Ducting
Do you need Kitchen Extract Cleaning?
Kitchen Extract Cleaning is an essential process because Kitchen extract systems have an increased fire, odour, and hygiene risk compared to general air ventilation systems. This is due to the grease, cooking oil and other deposits that build up over time, acting as a potential ignition source.
Cleanliness and fire safety are essential ingredients of every well-managed kitchen. A core risk element is your kitchen extract system, the perfect landing place for grease, cooking oil, and other deposits. Kitchen extract ductwork systems, if not kept clean, pose a Substantial Fire Risk.
Adhering to all the relevant good practice and a real through (deep) clean of your kitchen ventilation system is essential for reasons which normally motivate those responsible when stated. Fire hazards only grow in stature if ventilation is left to get a build up of grease.
Grease deposits are an excellent fuel that can help a fire to spread throughout an extract system and into other areas of the building.
Ensure your Kitchen Extract Systems are Compliant
Are you at risk if you do not conduct regular Kitchen Extract Cleaning?
The Regulatory (Fire Safety) Order 2005
From April 2006 it became an offence if systems were not maintained to prevent a fire risk. In the event of personal injury or death resulting from a fire associated with a poorly maintained system (section 17 of the RRO), charges of corporate liability or manslaughter may be brought against the operator and/or responsible person.
Hydro-X Air can take the worry out of your hands with an expert kitchen extract duct cleaning service that ensures you meet your fire safety obligations under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, minimising the risk of fire by removing grease and cooking oil deposits with a professionally conducted regular cleaning program.
Whether you are a restaurant, a hotel, or any other type of building owner with catering facilities, our service can be tailor-made to suit your needs at regular intervals from weekly to annual maintenance (frequency of cleaning is vital).
All of our cleaning works are compliant to the National standard of BESA TR19. On completion our work is verified with a comprehensive photographic post clean report.
Our Hydro-X Air Post-Clean Report is designed to comply with the RRFSO, TR/19 Grease and includes:
- An executive summary page that highlights the key risks (with a view to how to reduce the risks)
- A clear yes or no as to whether the system was cleaned in its entirety.
- If no to the above question, the reason why it was not cleaned in its entirety and a suggested solution.
- Other hazards that have been identified.
- Micron readings for the test locations. Wet Film Thickness Testing.
- The mean (average) micron reading across all micron reading taken.
- The current extraction system cleaning frequency.
- A recommendation of a new cleaning frequency based on the micron readings.
- A sufficient number of before and after cleaning photographs of the system to give a true representation of the system condition. These should be at minimum in the seven TR/19 test locations (section 7.41) and more if the duct length exceeds 10 meters.
- A schematic diagram of the system layout showing the system that has been cleaned and any areas that could not be cleaned.
- Test locations identified on the schematic
Kitchen Extraction System Remedials
Hydro-X Air can also examine your kitchen extract system in accordance with BESA DW 172 – Specification for Kitchen Ventilation Systems, BESA TR19 – Fire Risk Management of Grease Accumulation within Kitchen Extraction Systems and Regulation EC852/2004- Hygiene of Foodstuffs This will allow us to report on issues of compliance such as:
- Insufficient access for cleaning purposes
- Insufficient air flow
- Condition of the structural elements in the system (Ductwork, canopy elements, attenuators, etc.)
- Mechanical equipment condition (Fan units, ESP’s, etc.)
Hydro-X Air offers a remedial service encompassing most non-conformances found within kitchen extraction systems allowing us to offer the most comprehensive service possible from access door installation to replacement of structural and mechanical components of the system.
Operational efficiency also becomes better with a cleaner, conformal ventilation and commercial kitchen extract systems. This also ensures the premises hygiene levels don’t become substandard.
National regulations must also be adhered to in commercial kitchen extraction systems to conform to insurance standards and employer peace of mind that the building is compliant, and all staff and personnel are safe.
All Hydro-X Air staff pass the BESA Approved Grease Hygiene training course to allow us to guarantee the delivery of efficient and professional service in conformance with all national health and safety standards – view a sample report here.
If you require any information about our Kitchen Extract Cleaning service or are interested in a risk assessment quote, please use our contact sheet below.